Saturday, February 10, 2007

What is women's ministry?

I've been doing an informal survey of my friends and neighbors - ladies of all ages and from all walks of life.

Here's what I've been asking:
What would YOUR "ideal" women's ministry include (for you, in the stage of life you are in right now)?
I've gotten lots of answers. Everything from young moms' groups, to deep Bible studies, to mentoring programs, to ladies' nights out.

While programs are good (and we have several in the works right now, including the Beth Moore simulcast, an upcoming Beth Moore study, and other fellowship events), virtually everyone I spoke with could boil their ministry "ideal" down to one thing.

Relationship
.

First with our Savior, and then with our family in Christ.

We need to feel connected. We need each other.

Especially when I was a young mom, I spent lots of lonely years in church. Many of them wishing someone - not some program or "ministry" - would call me, talk to me, or just express interest in me in some way. It didn't dawn on me until much later that, the truth is, I feel most connected - to my family, to my friends, and to my church family - when I’m the one thinking of others. When I set my agenda aside for a while and do something inconvenient for me but a blessing for someone else.

This kind of ministry does not require a leader telling folks when to show up, or what to read and when. In fact, ministry is not only for those with a title or a paid staff position. It's not only for those who have the Bible memorized or who can say a deep-sounding prayer.

It's for those who have a heart for serving.

When I take a few minutes to make a phone call, give a hug, or offer an invitation to sit together - and of course, anytime there’s food involved - these all have a way of bringing me out of myself. I'm thinking of serving someone else. It's ministry.

Have you thought of a way you can reach out to someone else today?
I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward.
Mark 9:41, NIV

No comments: